Top Ad 728x90

Saturday 25 April 2015

,

I was a church drummer –Tido

 Ken Lolu Folarin, popularly known as Tido
Up-and-coming artiste, Ken Lolu Folarin, popularly known as Tido, tells Saturday Beats about his passion for music
Why did you choose to become an artiste?
I have had the passion for music since my childhood. I grew up as a music lover, I used to be a drummer then in the church and as I grew up, I learnt how to play the guitar also. Ever since then, music has been a part of me. After I graduated from Houdegbe North America University, Benin Republic with a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and got back home, I decided to do music fully.

ADVERTISEMENT
When was this?
That’s about four years ago now. I recorded my first single then and ever since, I perform at karaoke bars and some other shows.
We have so many artistes now, how do you hope to battle the fierce competition?
There’s always competition in any field one finds himself, but standing out is the main thing. Everyone has a unique style that makes him/her different from other artistes. To me, it’s the grace of God first because as an artist, there might be situations whereby you put in all your best and you still don’t shine. I tend to stand out by bringing out my own style to the industry, putting in my best by working hard and bringing out good songs that would not only keep people dancing but would also be evergreen songs. Also, my style of music is one that could be enjoyed by everyone out there irrespective of the age group. I have to be dropping singles at every point so as to be consistent in the industry.
Did your parents support you when you decided to become an artiste?
My parents did not really say no to my choice of becoming an artiste. But you know, every parent would want to see his/her child get an office job after they have spent so much on education. As for my parents, they supported me when they saw I really had much passion for music. They were so excited the day they had the opportunity of listening to my interview on air and also reading about me in some magazines and newspapers. They have given me their full support since I find fulfilment in what I like.
How would you describe your songs? What genre of music do you do?
I won’t say I’m into just a particular style of music, but I do more of Afro-pop. However, if the need arises, I can also fit into other genres like R and B; one of the songs I released sometimes ago was an R and B song. The new single I dropped is titled Gbewa which I featured an upcoming female artiste.
Who would you like to collaborate with?
I would really love to do a song with the likes of Tiwa Savage, Wande Coal and Tuface soon.
So many artistes usually go into drugs as soon as they ‘blow,’ do we see you engage in such?
Drugs? I won’t ever go into that. No way!
Are you with any record label?
I’m not with any label for now.
Why?
I feel I should try and do my thing for now so that any label that comes along the line would also see the work and effort I have been putting in to develop myself.
Why are you called Tido?
My stage name is Tido Kenzy but I am mostly called Tido. I got the name from my mum’s maiden name. I liked the name so I just decided to use it as my stage name and it has become a brand name now. That’s the name I was even called through my university days. Some call me Tido, Tido K or Tido Kenzy.
Why would an accountant graduate want to be a musician?
Let’s say music has been what I enjoyed right from time. It has been my passion. Music is my life. I worked in an office environment. Even now, I still work in an organisation. But I just feel I derive more joy in doing music.
Why did you study in Benin Republic?
Let’s say it just happened. I had a friend studying there before, so I decided to give it a try also.
So how do you combine work and music?
I have time for music. I still go to the studio on weekends. I still attend my shows. So it has not really hindered me from doing music. I get time to write songs when I get back from work and my colleagues at work also know I’m into music and they have been supportive. I hope to quit soon and face music entirely.
Doesn’t your girlfriend get jealous because of your music?
No.
So how do you cope with female fans?
Well, it has not really been an issue because I just see it as something that’s inevitable. I can’t snub them so they are just like my normal friends. As an artiste, you don’t need an enemy. But I still have my principles.
So how does your babe take these advances from other females?
I didn’t even mention I have a babe.
So you don’t have?
I prefer to leave that for another day.
Some up-and-coming artistes usually pay DJs to play their song on air. Are you one of them?
No, not at all. My songs are being played on air because the DJs like the songs. They also play the songs because people always request for them.
Who are your role models in the industry?
The likes of Tuface and Wande Coal. Wande Coal’s voice gingers me to want to do more.
How do you cope with the challenges of stardom?
By staying focused and with God’s help, I should be able to cope with any challenge.

0 blogger-facebook:

Post a Comment